Friday, 21 August 2015

World Of Wearable Arts Out Of Africa

Every Friday we have been getting right into planning and starting to design a costume for production. For our school production our theme is ora-life, and to show that we are doing wearable art and creating a garment/costume. Each class has a different theme. Poutama's three themes are Elements/ Heros and villains and Out Of Africa. I am in Out Of Africa. After a while of thinking about what I was going to make I decided to make out the savannah.

A ''mood'' is where you look on the internet for lots of ideas about what you are going to do before we started planning we created our own mood board with all the ideas we thought we could maybe use.

A few weeks later we started to plan out what our garment is actually going to have in it and what it is going to look like. On my garment I am going to paint a river, stick on pieces of laminated and fresh grass. stick on small rocks and pebbles and grab a whole lots of leaves and trace them onto a piece of paper and then paint the cardboard in the shape of leaf.

Here are if moodboard and my plan:
3 Weeks later:
What, what have I done so far: 
I have completely changed what I am doing. I have decided I am going to be a tree:

  • So far I have: Made the trunk, I grabbed some legging and spray painted my pants gold/brown color. 

  • I laminated some leafs and cut them out and then punched holes attached string and I have a leaf necklace!
  • I also made  the top half of my tree. It was a long process as I had to cut out/trace 275 leafs (different colors) and then hot glue gun them onto a top I didn't use. 
I now have to do:
  • I have started creating my leaf mask (with a GIANT leaf), but have not finished it yet. 
  • I also need to do 3 more layers of paper mache and wait for it to dry.
I don't have to do this, but I had some leftover paper leafs so I think I will create a headband with the paper leafs sticking up.
What I need to do:
What I have done so far:
A few more weeks later:
Since we finished our garment we need to evaluate our production costume/garment, here is my evaluation:

1) The materials that I used to create my garment were:

For My Top I Used:
  • Lots of different colored paper 
  • A top that I didn't use anymore
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Pencil/pen to trace leaf shape
  • Scissors 
  • Paint 
For My Leaf Necklace I Used:
  • Old leafs
  • Laminated Sheets
  • String to attach the leafs
  • A hole puncher
For My Leaf Mask I Used:
  • A huge leaf I found in my garden
  • A craft knife
  • Cardboard 
  • Hot Glue gun
  • Elastic
  • Lots and lots of Green Paint 
  • Paint brush etc 

For My Leggings/Pants I Used:
  • Gold/brownish Spray paint
  • Some old leggings I didn't use much anymore 
2) The most challenging thing about production for me was:
Trying to problem solve with my leaf mask because: After I had painted my leaf with 1 coat of green, after it dried the green paint kept chipping of, so I did another 4 coats before it stopped chipping but I had to be carful and be gentle with the leaf because a few bits sometimes still flacked of. I had to do a few touch up's. 

One day when I was trying to put on my mask one of my friends pointed out that one of the leaf pieces had come right of so I had to stick it back on with hot glue and I put a backing of cardboard on it to make it more stable. The only problem is, is that it has  a lump of were the hot glue had dried but I don't think you will see it from far away. 

3) One way I demonstrated a growth mindset during production was:
Being persistent when things didn't work out/never giving up. Also trying to come up with better ways I could create something and also putting myself in the pit  and coming up with new ideas because when you are in the pit that is where the best learning happens also the creative learning! 

4) Something I am really proud of about production was:
My leaf garment because I spent the most time on it and kept taking the hot glue gunned leafs on and of until I was happy with it! I also spent a lot of time tracing the leafs and cutting them out perfectically. 

5) Our school vision is to create agency, creativity and excellence. I showed this by:
Being creative and trying to come up with my own original ideas as well as thinking outside of the box. I also showed excellence by spending a lot of time to make things look they way I wanted them to look/how I vishended it to look and if something wasn't right I wouldn't leave it and I would fix it up.

Here is my finished garment with me wearing it:

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed with your vision for your garment Hannah. You have really used the inspiration to create a piece of art that encompasses the African theme. You are really striving for excellence with your garment and used your creativity to make something unique and special. Well done Hannah. I hope you enjoy showing it off to everyone next week.